A fairly mild strain of Kennel Cough is doing the rounds mostly affecting unvaccinated dogs visiting day care type centres. Highly contagious, the classic 'whooping' cough starts 4-6 days after contact with an infected dog. Uncomplicated disease does not need treating with antibiotics and some will settle with a bit of cough mixture (DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH XYLITOL) but if your dog becomes nauseous, not eating, lethargic or with any breathing difficulties, they should be seen.
All lilies and members of the lily family including day lilies are extremely poisonous to cats. Fatal poisonings have been known in cats that have only brushed against the pollen in the flowers so if you have cats, please don't buy lilies.
The FABCATS have a 'Keep Cats Safe' campaign to try get plant growers and nurseries to label the poisonous plants.
It is now law for your dog to have a registered ID chip as well as collar and tag. If you would like to have your dog's chip checked, we can read it and check the 3 main data bases for the current information. We cannot change any information but can give you the contact details of which database has your chip details if you have lost the information.
We have had a very sad fatal case of a cat from the High Holme area in Louth in October 2016 which had been poisoned with anti-freeze.
Antifreeze causes severe kidney failure which by the time anyone realises something is wrong is already causing extreme pain and often the kindest treatment is to put the cat to sleep.
Cats like the taste and the poison dose is very small so if you are working on filling car radiators, windscreen wash bottles or treating indoor fountains with antifreeze or products containing ethylene glycol and there has been some spillage, clean up any puddles and rinse down any residues with large amounts of water.
If you suspect there is someone deliberately putting down poison baits, this is against the law and will need reporting to the police and RSPCA for cruelty to animals.